Bonding is a highly effective procedure that can be used to treat minor cosmetic issues in your smile. It is also known as tooth contouring and helps to restore the aesthetics of teeth. Bonding can be used to treat cracked, chipped, misshapen, discolored, and poorly spaced teeth. The procedure involves applying a composite resin material to the teeth and shaping it according to the contour of the teeth. The dentist will bond the resin to the tooth structure and then polish it to give it a lustrous finish.
Why does one need bonding?
When you suffer from minor oral injuries, such as tooth chipping, cracking, or breakage, bondings can help restore the tooth's appearance and give you a beautiful smile. Also, in some cases, patients may have teeth that are misshapen due to orthodontic treatment. Bonding can help fix such teeth and give you a smile you always wanted.
How is bonding done?
Bonding is a simple procedure that can be done in a matter of one or two dental appointments. The dentist will clean the teeth thoroughly and then numb them using local anesthesia. A layer of enamel will be removed from the teeth so that bonding material can be applied to them. The resin is then applied to the teeth and shaped according to their contour. It will be hardened using a curing light and polished to give it a lustrous finish.
What are the advantages of bonding?
- Since bonding is made using tooth-colored materials, it blends in perfectly with the natural enamel of the teeth.
- The procedure is simple and doesn't require any complicated technology for its execution.
- It takes only a short period of time to perform bonding.
- Bonding helps restore chipped, cracked, misshapen, and poorly spaced teeth.
- This procedure can also be used for repairing broken or fractured teeth. The results are long-lasting as they are made using dental-grade materials.
- The procedure can be completed in one or two dental visits only.
What are the after-care instructions?
After getting a composite filling done at home, you should follow certain care instructions to maintain it properly and make it last long:
- Brushing twice and flossing at least once daily helps remove plaque from the teeth and keeps microbes from accumulating near the filling.
- Regular dental checkups should be kept as they enable better diagnosis of oral health issues and early treatment of cavities or any other oral infections. Regularly visit your dentist for routine consultations at least once every six months so that they can monitor your oral health condition closely and take appropriate measures when necessary.
Wish to schedule an appointment with us? Call Dentist Edmond OK at (405) 302-0100 or visit our office at 2408 NW 178th St, Edmond, OK 73012.