Sleep apnea is a severe sleep disorder that interrupts breathing during sleep. It is caused due to a blockage in the airway that prevents the person from inhaling and exhaling air properly. Some of the common causes of sleep apnea are:
- Habitual snoring
- A receding or collapsed airway
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Large tonsils and adenoids
How can sleep apnea be treated?
Sleep apnea can be treated with simple lifestyle changes such as:
- Losing weight.
- Reducing alcohol consumption.
- Quitting smoking.
- Changing sleeping positions, such as sleeping on your side or stomach instead of on your back.
- Using CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure), which is a device that supplies positive air pressure through a mask worn on your face during sleep, thereby keeping your airway open.
- Using dental appliances such as a mandibular advancement device or MAD that keep your jaw from dropping during sleep and allows easier breathing.
- Reducing stress by practicing meditation or yoga.
Our patients, who are unable to tolerate a CPAP machine, typically will benefit from an oral appliance. Dr. Neely uses the PANTHERA sleep device. It gently holds your lower jaw forward when you are sleeping, to allow your airway to stay open to reduce or eliminate apnea episodes. ThePANTHERAdevice is customized to your teeth, and allows for a multitude of adjustments to be made to allow for ideal fit, function and comfort for our patients. Our patients love that this appliance is un-obtrusive, made of long lasting vinyl, and easy to tolerate.
You may schedule an appointment by calling us or reaching out to us through an online query. We're always happy to help.
Wish to schedule an appointment with us? Call Dentist Edmond OK at (405) 302-0100 or visit our office at 2408 NW 178th St, Edmond, OK 73012.